Church History

Tabernacl church began at Hope Chapel, Newton, in 1916. Rev David Morris was the minister.

Hope was a Welsh-speaking church, but some felt they would like more English. In February 1916, it was decided to start a new Welsh-speaking church in Porthcawl town, and to leave Hope Chapel to develop its ministry in English.

The new church began meeting in the YMCA, before moving to the Celtic Café in John Street. At first, there were 39 members, but by 1919 this had grown to 70.

In 1919, the land at Fenton Place was purchased for the sum of £350.

There was an old hall on the land, which had been used as an Army Drill Hall during the First War. That became the first Tabernacl Chapel, then later its vestry. The chapel was opened on 20th March 1920 under the ministry of Rev. David Morris.

In 1930, with the membership now 130, it was decided to build a new chapel. The cost of building the new chapel was £4,300.

The building was finished within six months, and the new (current) Tabernacl Chapel opened on 14th July 1931. The opening service was led by Dr. Elfed Lewis, Rev. J J Williams (Morriston) and Rev. Samuel Williams (Landore). Rev. David Morris delivered the first sermon.

The building is now registered with Cadw as a Grade 2 listed building.

Under the ministry and guidance of Rev. Rosan Saunders, we set about demolishing the old vestry and building our new hall. The new hall opened in 2007.

Church Ministers

  • Rev. David Morris – 1916 – 1932
  • Rev. Evan James – 1935 – 1958
  • Rev. Walford Llewellyn – 1959 – 1963
  • Rev. W Rhys Nicholas – 1965 – 1983
  • Rev. Alwyn Lloyd – 1985 – 1994
  • Rev. Meirion Sewell – 1995 – 2002
  • Rev. Rosan Saunders – 2003 – 2017
  • Rev. Dylan Rhys Parry 2021 –